Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "By the Way, I Forgive You" - Brandi Carlile


I've decided to bring back my Album Of The Year nominee reviews. The field got expanded this year, so expect a review a week or thereabout. I'll draw at random which album I'll review week to week. I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 200. 




(All Rights To RCA Records)

"By The Way, I Forgive You" - Brandi Carlile





1) "Every Time I Hear That Song"

This starts off with a very tranquil opening, with nice harmonization. Brandi deals with a past love, with some powerful lines; "Didn't it break your heart when you watched my smile fading".



2) "The Joke"

"The Joke" contains a powerful, big chorus. It tells the perfect message of belonging. This may even top "The Story" in terms of Brandi's top songs.




3) "Hold Out Your Hand"

The tempo picks up with "Hold Out Your Hand". It feels very Johnny Cash inspired, with a folk and pop blend. Its very uplifting.




4) "The Mother"

The guitar intro really pulls you in. This track reads like a letter or journal entry. Brandi wrote this song about her own daughter.




5) "Whatever You Do"

This track is so emotionally powerful, with a big strings breakdown and power outro. We see Brandi reflecting on her past; "I never met a morning I could get through with nothing on my breath to hold the night. And I never said I'm sorry, but I meant to. I never met a coward I don't like".



6) "Fulton County Jane Doe"

This track really shows off Brandi's writing style; "We came into this world with nothing, And all we're taking is a name. That's why I've written you this song, this is for Fulton County Jane".




7) "Sugar Tooth"

Brandi tells a deep story here of a man intertwined with the opioid crisis. This is a track that really sticks with you.



8) "Most Of All"

This track tells a message about the values that your parents ingrain in you, no matter what. 



9) "Harder To Forgive"

We see a change of pace with "Harder To Forgive". Brandi just has a way with words; "But I'm not sorry for the things I say. Sometimes I let my mouth just run away. And I believe that all souls are born kind. And that all love lost comes back in time".



10) "Party Of One"

The album closes out with a solid track in "Party Of One", with a nice piano intro and an incredibly moving outro.



"By The Way, I Forgive You" is a very powerful album. It sees Brandi Carlile at her best, raising the bar. Her folk blend shows what can be truly possible. I can't recommend this album enough, her vocals are impeccable.

"By The Way, I Forgive You": Brandi Carlile - 200
 "Golden Hour": Kacey Musgraves - 169.2
"Invasion of Privacy": Cardi B - 161.5
"Dirty Computer": Janelle Monae - 150.1
"Black Panther: The Album" 135.7
"Scorpion": Drake - 128 





No comments:

Post a Comment