Sunday, November 24, 2019

Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Norman F***ing Rockwell!" - Lana Del Rey





With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.




(All Rights to Polydor & Interscope Records)



1) "Norman F***ing Rockwell"

This starts off with a nice string intro, following a piano transition. Lana is dealing with an immature man who is dragging her down; "Your head in your hands, as you color me blue". A strong opening track.



2) "Mariners Apartment Complex"

Lana is trying to be a savior after bouncing back from her own troubles; "I'm no longer a candle in the wind". She's looking to bring her man back up; "You're lost at sea, then I'll command your boat back to me again". This track is very tranquil.



3) "Venice Bitch"

There's some interesting imagery here, like "ice cream, ice queen". But the refrain is a bit awkward, and cluttered at times. With that being said, Lana still does her thing lyrically.



4) "Fuck It, I Love You"

Here Lana is looking to change things up regarding her relationship. Lyrically, this track is exquisite, "I used to shoot up my veins in neon". She's also able to convey subtle differences in the chorus with how she changes her phrasing on "fuck it, I love you". Its well layered.


5) "Doin' Time"

This is a cover of Sublime's track, which in itself is a take on "Summertime" from Porgy & Bess. There's a nice backing beat that gives this cover some added energy. Like most Lana covers, her voice alone provides a new angle.



6) "Love Song"

This track is slowed down, and very poetic in nature. However, it does plod along a bit.


7) "Cinnamon Girl"

This track is dealing with an unhealthy relationship, with mentions of how her man is using drugs as a quick fix. Lana puts on display her history with prior relationships; "But if you hold me without hurting me, you'll be the first who ever did". The track closes very strongly.


8) "How To Disappear"

Despite Lana's usual lyrical prowess (going on about how guys are fighting to forget their fears), there isn't much to this track.


9) "California"

Overall this is a song of longing, but its held back with pacing issues.


10) "The Next Best American Record"

There's a particular interesting line; "He was '70s in spirit, '90s in his frame of mind". The 70s references the hippie culture, and the 90s as a grunge era. But once again, a slow paces holds this track back.


11) "The Greatest"

It starts off with a nice guitar intro. "The Greatest" is dealing with Lana feeling nostalgic; "The culture is lit, and if this is it, I had a ball. I guess that I'm burned out after all". There's an interesting reference towards the end on Lana missing Kanye "pre-trump", "Kanye West is blond and gone". 



12) "Bartender"

This track tends to meander.


13) "Happiness Is A Butterfly"

Like "The Greatest", we see Lana reflecting on her bad prior relationships in a powerful way; "If he's a serial killer, then what's the worst that can happen to a girl who's already hurt? I'm already hurt". That line just hits so hard. 


14) "Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have - but I Have It"

The track has a similar theme to "Wicked Game". There are some interesting references of Sylvia Plath. This is a deep and reflective track, that resolves with Lana saying that she does indeed have hope. 




Lana Del Rey is the kind of artist that isn't necessarily for everyone. I found myself somewhere in between. The album starts off strong, but I found myself getting a bit bogged down. The tracks that stand out really shine, with Lana's adept phrasing and lyricism. (64.3)


"Norman Fucking Rockwell" - Lana Del Rey (64.3)

No comments:

Post a Comment