Sunday, December 13, 2020

Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Folklore" (Taylor Swift)

 




With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.


"Folklore" - Taylor Swift


(All Rights to Republic Records)


1) "the 1"

This track deals with myths and "what could have beens" of relationships; "I hit the Sunday matinee. You know the greatest films of all time we're never made". Taylor is reminiscing on the possibilities that she missed out on; "In my defense, I have none".


2) "Cardigan"

This track sets up a larger story of a love triangle, continued in "august", and "betty". There's a very 'Lana Del Rey' feel to "Cardigan". The imagery is impeccable; "You drew stars around my scars, but now I'm bleeding".


3) "the last great american dynasty"

This track is about Rebekah Harkness. Quicker paced, Taylor tells a life story.


4) "exile" ft/ Bon Iver

Two exes are seeing each other again in this track. Justin Vernon and Taylor are in a bit of a call and response; "you're not my homeland anymore, so what am I defending now? (Vernon)", "you were my crown, now I'm in exile (Swift)". The bridge is exquisite .  


5) "My tears ricochet"

This track is possibly about the betrayal that Talor felt from her publishing group. Its very mournful sounding; "And if I'm on fire, you'll be made of ashes too"...."And if I'm dead to you, why are you at the wake, cursing my name". 


6) "mirrorball"

Taylor is reflecting on her different personalities, and the idea that she has to fight to stay relevant; "I'll show you every version of yourself tonight"..."I can change everything about me to fit in". The bridge in particular shows how she feels she has to constantly reinvent herself.


7) "seven"

This deals with childhood innocence. The 2nd verse gets quite personal.


8) "august"

Continuing from the story in "Cardigan", this tells another perspective of the love triangle; "August slipped away like a bottle of wine, 'Cause you were never mine". This other woman is realizing that there wasn't much to this dalliance; "Cause you weren't mine to lose".


9) "this is me trying" 

Taylor is reflecting on the faults in herself in regards to past relationships; "I had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting". She's always been trying to improve on herself, dealing with criticism that she's been self-sabotaging relationships; "they told me all of my cages were mental".


10) "Illicit Affairs"

This gives a wide view on infidelity; "And that's the thing about illicit affairs. And clandestine meetings & longing stares. It's born from just one single glance".


11) "Invisible String"

Taylor sees her past relationships as leading her to her current romance; "all along there was some invisible string tying you to me?"..... "something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire, Chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons, one single thread of gold".


12) "mad woman"

This track centers around gaslighting; "what a shame she went mad, no one likes a mad woman, you made her like that".


13) "epiphany"

The central focus here is about finding a semblance of peach amid chaos; "only 20 minutes to sleep, but you dream of some epiphany". There are references to the pandemic; "someone's daughter, someone's mother, holds your hand through plastic now".


14) "betty"

This deals with the aftermath of "august" and wraps up the love triangle story with the perspective of the guy admitting that he cheated. There's a country-feel to this track.


15) "peace"

"Peace" deals with Taylor's maturation with romance. She'll always be hounded by press, etc, but will always be there and try for her partner.


16) "hoax"

This track sounds very melancholic; "my twisted knife, my sleepless night, my winless fight, this has frozen my ground".



"Folklore" sees some of Taylor Swift's best writing to date. She turns inward and gets quite personal, reflecting on her past and what has held her back. In terms of music, 2020 may have been Taylor Swift's year. (100)

Taylor Swift - Folklore (100)
Haim - "Women In Music - Pt. III" (85)

No comments:

Post a Comment