Sunday, February 14, 2021

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: "Djesse Vol. 3" - Jacob Collier

 



With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.



"Djesse Vol. 3" - Jacob Collier



(All Rights To Hajanga Records)


1) "Clarity"

This serves as a brief introductory track.



2) "Count The People" ft/ Jessie Reyez & T-Pain

This track features some "speed poetry"; "Typically, animosity is never gonna set you free like that". The instrumental in the bridge really gives this track a kick.



3) "In My Bones" ft/ Kimbra & Tank and The Bangas

You could sense the inspiration Jacob gains from the likes of Prince and Michael Jackson. The track gets a bit busy.



4) "Time Alone With You" ft/ Daniel Caesar

There's a nice half-time groove feel to this. Caesar's verses and the overall track have a nice flow to them; "It's a beautiful Sunday evening/ And when you see that little moon/ You know I'm gonna let it shine on you/ Open up the sky, and let the groove fall down" 

.


5) "All I Need" ft/ Mahalia & Ty Dolla Sign

There's a bit of a latin dance feel to this track. The lyrics really flow; "I love all the illumination you bring to all the ordinary things I found".


6) "In Too Deep" ft/ Kiana Lede

This track deals with asking what's going wrong in a relationship; "Did I forget to feel?/ Everything is falling down/ Baby, this old world is nothing without you". Kiana brings something extra to this.


7) "Butterflies"

This track deals with connections; "So take me to your open skies/ I just wanna feel alive". Overall "Butterflies" feels really disjointed, and just doesn't come together.


8) "Sleeping On My Dreams" 

This is about a relationship that has run its course; " 'Cause I've been sleeping on my dreams/ And I can't remember what I mean to you".


9) "Running Outta Love" ft/ Tori Kelly

In this track about misconnecting, the backing instrumentals doesn't always compliment the vocals.  


10) "Light It Up On Me"

This track seems like an experiment that just didn't play out.


11) "He Won't Hold You" ft/ Rhapsody

This track deals with exploring loneliness; "Things rearrange, we miss what is not the same". There are dragging issues, lyrically the chorus is "meh" at best, but Rhapsody's verses really excel.


12) "To Sleep"

A nice tranquil conclusion to the album.


Jacob Collier certainly likes to explore with harmonies. While not every experiment works out, the ones that do are worth a listen. I get the sense that Collier is a required taste, but his music is definitely something you aren't likely to have heard before, lets just put it at that. (60)


Taylor Swift - "Folklore" (100)

Dua Lipa - "Future Nostalgia" (95)

Black Pumas - "Black Pumas (Deluxe)" (91)

Haim - "Women In Music - Pt. III" (85)

Jhene Aiko - "Chilombo" (78)

Jacob Collier - "Djessie Vol. 3" (60)

Post Malone - "Hollywood's Bleeding" (30)

No comments:

Post a Comment