Monday, March 21, 2022

2022 Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Evermore" - Taylor Swift

 


For this year's reviews of the album of the year nominees, I simplified my grading. I grade each song (not any interludes or preludes) out of 10, coming up with a final score out of 100. 


"Evermore" - Taylor Swift


(All Rights to Republic Records)

1) "Willow"

With a solid instrumental backing, this is a fantastic start to the album; "I'm like the water when your ship rolled in that night. Rough on the surface, but you cut through like a knife".


2) "champagne problems"

This is about a turned down proposal; "bustling crowds or silent sleepers, you're not sure which is worse because I dropped your hand while dancing, left you out there standing crestfallen on the landing". She really paints a picture lyrically.


3) "Gold Rush"

Depicting jealousy, she dreams about what her life would be like with this person; "I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch".


4) "'tis the damn season"

The chorus is well-paced; "The holidays linger like bad perfume, you can run only so far".


5) "Tolerate It"

Lyrically heartbreaking, she struggles of wanting love from someone not paying attention; "If it's all in my head, tell me now. Tell me I've got it wrong somehow. I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it".


6) "no body, no crime" (ft/ HAIM)

This is a country take on an imaginative true crime story about being cheated on by a husband.


7) "happiness"

This deals with moving on from a relationship while acknowledging the parts of joy that was in it; "There'll be happiness after you, but there was happiness because of you".


8) "dorothea"

Following the narrative from " 'tis the damn season ", compared to the rest of the album up 'til now something feels slightly off with this track.


9) "coney island" (ft/ The National)

A well balanced duet on the loss & nostalgia of a past relationship; "gift-wrapped suburban dream".


10) "ivy"

This is about a married woman falling in love, leading to an affair; "your touch brought forth an incandescent glow. Tarnished, but so grand".


11) "Cowboy like me"

With a dreamy feel, this is about swindlers falling in love; "Forever is the sweetest con".


12) "long story short"

This is about her public demonization, and coming through to the other side.


13) "marjorie"

An ode to her late grandmother; "the autumn chill that wakes me up, you loved the amber skies so much".


14) "closure"

Starting off with a wild drum sequence, this deals with her moving on from a friendship; "Don't treat me like some situation that needs to be handled.....I know I'm just a wrinkle in your life now".


15) "evermore" (ft/ Bon Iver)

This details her personal journey with regards to her mental health; "Staring out an open window catching my death. And I couldn't be sure, I had a feeling so peculiar that this pain would be for Evermore". A therapeutic closing to the album.


Along with "Folklore", this is a nice 1-2 combo for Taylor Swift. I wouldn't have been at all shocked if Taylor had enough for a 3rd album coming off that initial writing session. I can't wait to see where Taylor goes from here. (95)


 Olivia Rodrigo "Sour" - 100

Billie Eilish "Happier Than Ever" - 97

Taylor Swift "Evermore" - 95

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga "Love For Sale" - 94.58

Jon Batiste "We Are" - 94.54

Lil Nas X "Montero" - 85

H.E.R "Back Of My Mind" - 78

Justin Bieber "Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)" - 65

Kanye West "Donda" - 61 


No comments:

Post a Comment