Saturday, December 31, 2022

2023 Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Good Morning Gorgeous" (Deluxe) - Mary J Blige

 



With the Grammy nominations announced, its time for my annual review of every album of the year nominee. Track information in this review if courtesy of genius.com.


"Good Morning Gorgeous" (Deluxe) - Mary J Blige

300/Mary Jane Records


1) "No Idea"

She's stating how she's moved up.


2) "Love Will Never" 

This track is about how she's trying to recapture something lost; "Drowning in my mind, love won't feel the same again. Things I sacrificed, just to feel something again". 


3) "Here With Me" (ft/ Anderson .Paak)

This is about a relationship going through the motions.


4) "Rent Money" (ft/ Dave East)

This deals with divorce; "This isn't love, this is roulette. I just want back what I put into this".


5) "Gone Forever" (ft/ Remy Ma & DJ Khaled)

She feels used.


6) "Amazing" (ft/ DJ Khaled)

This track deals with self-empowerment. The chorus is lyrically lacking.


7) "GMG Interlude"


8) "Good Morning Gorgeous"

With a nice slow groove, this is about trying to love yourself; "Second guessing, it doesn't help me. I'm so tired of feeling empty.....I wake up every morning and tell myself 'Good Morning Gorgeous' ".


9) "Come See About Me"


10) "On Top" (ft/ Fivio Foreign w/ Cool & Dre)

This is about her long career; "You need to bet on me, why not?"


11) "Tough Love" (ft/ Moneybagg Yo)

There's a nice intro; "Maybe I can make a run from all my pride, And all my ego".


12) "Love Without The Heartbreak"

This is about her wanting a do-over.


13) "Failing In Love" 

This deals with picking up the pieces.


14) "Enough"

She's tired of it all; "I don't care if it's hard on me, I'd rather be lonely".


15) "Need Love" (ft/ Usher)


16) "Running" (ft/ Ne-Yo)

This starts with a unique-sounding intro.


17) "Good Morning Gorgeous" (Remix) (ft/ H.E.R)

This is a nice collaboration.


18) "Rent Money" (Remix) (ft/ Jadakiss & Griselda)

This collab doesn't work like the prior remix.


19) "Come See About Me" (Remix) (ft/ Fabolous)


You can clearly see connecting theme, dealing with Mary J Blige's divorce. This is a fairly solid album, but more good than great. However, Mary J Blige still has something to say on her 14th studio album. (82)

"Renaissance" - Beyonce: 93 

"30"- Adele: 92 

"Good Morning Gorgeous" (Deluxe) - Mary J Blige: 82

"Un Verano Sin Ti" - Bad Bunny: 81

"Music Of The Spheres" - Coldplay: 77

No comments:

Post a Comment