Sunday, December 17, 2023

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: Miley Cyrus - "Endless Summer Vacation"

 


"Endless Summer Vacation"  - Miley Cyrus
(Columbia Records)



1) "Flowers"

This is about moving past a relationship; "I can buy myself flowers, write my name in the sand. Talk to myself for hours, say things you don't understand". The bass really grooves, and the strings are a nice added touch.





2) " Jaded"

Dealing with regret and missed opportunities; "Said goodbye forever, but you never unpacked. We went to hell, but we never come back". She still feels for her ex.






3) " Rose Colored Lenses"

She wants to stay in the moment; "Wearing rose-colored lenses, let's just play pretend.... Pretend we'll never end". There's a nice backing guitar, but the track plods along a bit.


4) " Used To Be Young"

She's looking back at her past; "Turns out open bars lead to broken hearts, and goin' way too far". She shows off her vocals, and you can feel the emotion.




5) " Thousand Miles" (ft/ Brandi Carlile)

This is a reflection on a relationship; "I'm out of my mind, but still, I'm holding out like a rolling stone. A thousand miles from anywhere". I wish Brandi had her own verse.


6) " You"

This is about being wild with someone. There's a slow groove, but the lyrics leave something to be desired.


7) "Handstand"

This track deals with meeting someone you won't forget. There's a spoken word intro. The track has a techno feel.  The track is certainly experimental, but I'm not sure if it works. This is one I'd have to sleep on.


8) "River"

An upbeat track, she's showing devotion. I'm not a fan of the almost spoken word verses.



9) "Violet Chemistry"

This is about wanting a lover to stay. The track is synth heavy.


10) "Muddy Feet" (ft/ Sia)

She's calling out a cheater. She really goes off in the chorus. Based off of this track, it would be interesting to see a rock album from her.


11)"Wildcard"

Miley is wanting more in a relationship; " loving you is never enough". This is a vocal showcase.


12) "Island"

She's going through the process of missing someone; "Am I stranded on an island? Or have I landed in paradise?". 


13) "Wonder Woman"

This is about a strong & resilient woman; "Never know she's broken cause she's always fine. She's a million moments, lived a thousand lives. Never know she's hopeless, only when she cries". Miley's vocals are beautiful and vulnerable.

" Endless Summer Vacation" has a few dips, but overall this is a very solid album. Miley is really able to show off her vocals. And as I mentioned with "Muddy Feet", I'd really like to see Miley's take on a rock album. (84.4)

Taylor Swift: "Midnights" - 93.6
Miley Cyrus: "Endless Summer Vacation" - 84.4
Janelle Monae: "The Age Of Pleasure" - 78.4 




No comments:

Post a Comment