Monday, February 15, 2016

2016 Grammy's Preview





The Grammy's are right around the corner, so its time to get a gauge on some of the major awards. Now I'll admit, my predictions for the Grammy's tend to be absolutely horrible, so take these with a grain of salt.



 Country Album Of The Year:
Montevallo - Sam Hunt
Pain Killer - Little Big Town
The Blade - Ashley Monroe
Pageant Material - Kacey Musgraves
Traveller - Chris Stapleton

There may be a surprise, but there seems to be a heavy favorite here. He's been winning recently in the country awards circuit, and I think it continues here.

Pick: Traveller - Chris Stapleton









R&B Performance Of The Year:
"If I Don't Have You" - Tamar Braxton
"Rise Up" - Andra Day
"Breathing Underwater" - Hiatus Kaiyute
"Planes" - Jeremih ft/J. Cole
"Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey)" - The Weeknd

All signs here would point to "Earned It"....but I'm going with a bit of a dark horse here with Andra Day's "Rise Up". She's a rising star on the R&B circuit, and I think she could get recognized here.

Pick: "Rise Up" - Andra Day







Rock Album Of The Year:
Chaos & The Calm - James Bay
Kintsugi - Death Cab For Cutie
Mister Asylum - Highly Suspect
Drones - Muse
.5:The Gray Chapter - Slipknot

This is a fairly interesting field. From heavy rock, to indie/folk. This could go any number of ways, but I'm going with probably a fairly safe pick with James Bay.

Pick: Chaos & The Calm - James Bay






Pop Vocal Album Of The Year:
Piece by Piece - Kelly Clarkson
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence + The Machine
Before This World - James Taylor
Uptown Special - Mark Ronson
1989 - Taylor Swift

I would be legit shocked if Taylor Swift didn't take this Grammy home, considering how 1989 is such a well-put together pop album.

Pick: 1989 - Taylor Swift






Pop Solo Performance Of The Year:
"Heartbeat Song" - Kelly Clarkson
"Love Me Like You Do" - Ellie Goulding
"Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran
"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift
"Can't Feel My Face" - The Weeknd

Now given what I just said about Pop Vocal Album, you'd think I'd go "Blank Space" here. Well....not so fast. Granted, it very well may win, but I just have a feeling about "Love Me Like You Do". Its just such a magnificent and beautiful track.

Pick: "Love Me Like You Do" - Ellie Goulding






New Artist Of The Year:
Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly
Meghan Trainor

I'm fully preparing myself for a Sam Hunt win (ugh), but I'm hoping and calling for a Tori Kelly win. Even though she's gotten out there, she's still incredibly under-appreciated.

Pick: Tori Kelly






Song Of The Year:
"Alright" - Kendrick Lamar
"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift
"Girl Crush" - Little Big Town
"See You Again" - Wiz Khalifa ft/Charlie Puth
"Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran

What a packed field. You could reasonably make a case for any song. I'm going to make the case for Kendrick Lamar. He'll likely take home a handful of awards, but "Alright" deserves this top award. Its such a powerful track.

Pick: "Alright" - Kendrick Lamar





Record Of The Year:
"Really Love" - D'Angelo & The Vanguard
"Uptown Funk" - Mark Ronson ft/Bruno Mars
"Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran
"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift
"Can't Feel My Face" - The Weeknd

I see this coming down to "Blank Space" and "Can't Feel My Face". Of course, with that being said, watch this award go to one of the other 3 nominees. Anyway, in a toss-up, I'm going with The Weeknd hit. It uses such imagery, and it was a breakout hit for him. I think it gets rewarded.

Pick: "Can't Feel My Face" - The Weeknd








Album Of The Year:
Sound + Color - Alabama Shakes
To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
Traveller - Chris Stapleton
1989 - Taylor Swift

I see this coming down to Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift and Chris Stapleton. Every nominee is worthy in some sense, but I'm going with a dark horse pick in Chris Stapleton. I'm not picking just because it was my best reviewed album, but I just have this sense. Chris Stapleton has paid his dues for quite some time, and the Grammy's could be a major breakout for him.

Pick: Traveller - Chris Stapleton















No comments:

Post a Comment