Saturday, January 6, 2018

2018 Golden Globes Predictions




Its that time of the year again, with the awards season starting to get into gear, The Golden Globes. In what has been an unpredictable and wide open Oscars field, this year's Globes really could be a bellwether for the upcoming awards season. Here are my "well thought out" predictions on how I think it'll play out.



TV:


Best Supporting Actress:
Laura Dern - Big Little Lies
Ann Dowd - The Handmaid's Tale
Chrissy Metz - This Is Us
Michelle Pfeiffer - The Wizard Of Lies
Shailene Woodley - Big Little Lies

Tough call on whether to go with a Big Little Lies actress, or Ann Dowd...but I'm going to go with Ann Dowd.


 
 


Best Supporting Actor:
Alfred Molina - Feud
Alexander Skarsgard - Big Little Lies
David Thewlis - Fargo
David Harbour - Stranger Things
Christian Slater - Mr. Robot

This seems like an easier call, Alexander Skarsgard.








Best Actress - Limited Series/TV Movie:
Jessica Biel - The Sinner
Nicole Kidman - Big Little Lies
Jessica Lange - Feud
Susan Sarandon - Feud
Reese Witherspoon - Big Little Lies

At times the Globes can go against the grain, but I'm playing it safe with Nicole Kidman.




  



Best Actor - Limited Series/TV Movie:
Robert De Niro - The Wizard Of Lies
Jude Law - The Young Pope
Kyle MacLachlan - Twin Peaks
Ewan McGregor - Fargo
Geoffrey Rush - Genius

This category seems fairly wide open. Twin Peaks was acclaimed in its return, so I'm going with Kyle MacLachlan.



  



Best Limited Series or TV Movie:
Big Little Lies
Fargo
Feud
The Sinner
Top Of The Lake: China Girl

Its won big so far over the past year, so I'm going with Big Little Lies.


  



 Best Actress - Musical or Comedy:
Pamela Adlon - Better Things
Alison Brie - Glow
Issa Rae - Insecure
Rachel Brosnahan - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Frankie Shaw - SMILF

The Globes tend to prefer fresh TV. I could see them going Alison Brie or Issa Rae, but I'm going with Rachel Brosnahan. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been a buzzed about show since its release.




Best Actress - Drama:
Caitriona Balfe - Outlander
Claire Foy - The Crown
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Deuce
Katharine Langford - 13 Reasons Why
Elisabeth Moss - The Handmaid's Tale

Maybe there's an upset here, but the cards seem to pointing towards Elisabeth Moss


  



Best Actor - Musical or Comedy:
Anthony Anderson - Black-ish
Aziz Ansari - Master Of None
Kevin Bacon - I Love Dick
William H. Macy - Shameless
Eric McCormack - Will And Grace

This seems like another wide open field. I'd really like to see Anthony Anderson win here, but I'm going with Aziz Ansari.



    



Best Actor - Drama:
Sterling K. Brown - This Is Us
Freddie Highmore - The Good Doctor
Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
Jason Bateman - Ozark

Maybe I'm going with my own preference here, but I'm calling it for Sterling K. Brown. Maybe it goes again the "new TV grain" (even though This Is Us is only in its 2nd season), but quite frankly, I don't care.  







Best TV Series - Musical or Comedy:
Black-ish
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Master Of None
SMILF
Will & Grace

A number of ways this could go. I could see The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel winning, but I'm going with Master Of None.







Best TV Series - Drama:
The Crown
Game Of Thrones
The Handmaid's Tale
Stranger Things
This Is Us

This seems like a bit of a safer bet. It cleaned up fairly well at the Emmy's, and I see a similar pattern here with The Handmaid's Tale.



     




Film:

Best Music - Original Song:
"Home" by Nick Jonas, Justin Tranter & Nick Monson, Ferdinand
"Mighty River" by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq & Taura Stinson, Mudbound
"Remember Me" by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez, Coco
"The Star" by Mariah Carey & Marc Shalman, The Star
"This Is Me" by Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, The Greatest Showman

 I think this comes down to Coco and the musical The Greatest Showman. I'm leaning towards "Remember Me". Its tough to top the great Kristen-Anderson & Robert Lopez.

 



Best Music - Original Score:
Three Billboards - Carter Burwell
The Shape Of Water - Alexandre Desplat
Phantom Thread - Jonny Greenwood
The Post - John Williams
Dunkirk - Hans Zimmer

Certainly some big names up for original score. I'm going with Alexandre Desplat.






Best Supporting Actress:
Mary J. Blige - Mudbound
Hong Chau - Downsizing
Alison Janney - I, Tonya
Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer - Shape Of Water

This is likely down to Alison Janney and Laurie Metcalf. They've been going back and forth early on this awards season, but I'm leaning towards Laurie Metcalf.



  




Best Supporting Actor:
William Dafoe - The Florida Project
Armie Hammer - Call me By Your Name
Richard Jenkins - The Shape Of Water
Christopher Plummer - All The Money In the World
Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards

This is a completely wide open field. Its the one where we could see multiple winners across the Globes, SAG's, etc. I'm going with William Dafoe



  




Best Animated Feature:
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

It seems best animated film is always a runaway....and that looks to be the case here with Coco.

  



Best Actress - Musical or Comedy:
Judi Dench - Victoria & Abdul
Margot Robbie - I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
Emma Stone - Battle Of The Sexes
Helen Mirren - The Leisure Seeker

Margot Robbie could take this, but I'm going with Saoirse Ronan in the much acclaimed Lady Bird.







Best Actress- Drama:
Jessica Chastain - Molly's Game
Sally Hawkins - The Shape Of Water
Frances McDormand - Three Billboards
Meryl Streep - The Post
Michelle Williams - Three Billboards

Possibly a 2 person battle with Sally Hawkins and Frances McDormand. I had been leaning towards McDormand, but with something of a late push I'm calling for a Sally Hawkins win.





 Best Actor - Musical or Comedy:
Steve Carell - Battle Of The Sexes
Ansel Elgort - Baby Driver
James Franco - The Disaster Artist
Hugh Jackman - The Greatest Showman
Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out

Signs are pointing towards James Franco, but with Get Out's awards haul thus far, I'm going with Daniel Kaluuya

  



Best Actor - Drama:
Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis - Phantom Thread
Tom Hanks - The Post
Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington - Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Gary Oldman seems like a slight favorite, but as stated, in an unpredictable awards season I'm going with Timothee Chalamet. I think he takes this for his breakthrough role.





Best Foreign Language Film:
A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
First They Killed My Father (Cambodia)
In the Fade (Germany, France)
Loveless (Russia)
The Square (Sweden, Germany, France)

Ahh....foreign language film....the one category that I have absolutely no incite on. With a pure guess, I'm going with The Square.

  



Best Screenplay:
The Shape Of Water - Guillermo Del Toro & Vanessa Taylor
Lady Bird - Greta Gerwig
The Post - Liz Hannah & Josh Singer
Three Billboards - Martin McDonagh
Molly's Game - Aaron Sorkin

I'm going with Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird. With how she got snubbed for Best Director, I think she rightfully gets recognized.








Best Director:
Guillermo del Toro - The Shape Of Water
Martin McDonagh - Three Billboards
Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
Ridley Scott - All The Money In The World
Steven Spielberg - The Post

I sound like a broken record, but again, a fairly wide open field. There were plenty of snubs, but with what we've got with this field, I'm going with Guillermo del Toro for his incredible vision of Shape Of Water.





Best Picture - Musical or Comedy:
The Disaster Artist
Get Out
The Greatest Showman
I, Tonya
Lady Bird

This comes down to Get Out and Lady Bird, both not only contenders here but for the Oscars as well. With its impressive haul already in best picture wins, I'm calling it for Get Out

  



Best Picture - Drama:
Call me By Your Name
Dunkirk
The Post
The Shape Of Water
Three Billboards

Even more wide open than comedy/musical, a win here will propel one of these films to the top of the best picture field (along with Get Out/Lady Bird). I'm predicting a win for The Shape Of Water. I wouldn't be shocked if Call me By Your Name or The Post pull it off, but I just have a feeling with Shape Of Water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment