Friday, January 26, 2018

2018 Grammy's Predictions



With the Grammy's coming up, I thought I'd take a crack at some predictions. Now usually when it comes to the Grammy awards, I go by my own preference, so I'm just going to be open about that. If you're looking for totally accurate calls, then this post probably isn't for you. With that being said, here's what I think/hope happens.



Best Pop Solo Performance:
"Love So Soft" - Kelly Clarkson
"Praying" - Kesha
"Million Reasons" - Lady Gaga
"What About Us" - Pink
"Shape Of You" - Ed Sheeran

Talk about a loaded field. As much as I'd love a Kelly Clarkson win, I'm going with "Praying" by Kesha. Its just such a powerful song, especially in context of this current environment.






Best Country Solo Performance:
"Body Like A Back Road" - Sam Hunt
"Losing You" - Alison Krauss
"Tin Man" - Miranda Lambert
"I Could Use A Love Song" - Maren Morris
"Either Way" - Chris Stapleton

One of those categories where I'm not familiar with most of these tracks, but I'd like to see a Chris Stapleton win.








Best Pop Vocal Album:
Kaleidoscope EP - Coldplay
Lust For Life - Lana Del Rey
Evolve - Imagine Dragons
Rainbow - Kesha
Joanne - Lady Gaga
 ÷ - Ed Sheeran

Much was made about Ed Sheeran not appearing in the album of the year field, so I think he takes this award.






Best Pop Duo/Group Performance:
"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay
"Despacito" - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft/ Justin Bieber
"Thunder" - Imagine Dragons
"Feel It Still" - Portugal. The Man
"Stay" - Zedd & Alessia Cara

It was such a huge global hit, I'm going with "Despacito"







Best Rock Album:
Emperor Of Sand - Mastodon
Hardwired... to Self-Destruct - Metallica
The Stories We Tell Ourselves - Nothing More
Villains - Queens of the Stone Age
A Deeper Understanding - The War on Drugs

Now this is pure guesswork on my part, but I'm going with The War on Drugs.







Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Free 6lack - 6lack
Awaken, My Love! - Childish Gambino
American Teen - Khalid
Ctrl - Sza
Starboy - The Weeknd

I went back and forth between Khalid or Sza....but I'm going with Sza.







Best Rap Album:
4:44 - Jay-Z
Damn  - Kendrick Lamar
Culture - Migos
Laila's Wisdom - Rapsody
Flower Boy - Tyler, the Creator

Call it hedging my bets for later on, but I'm going with Jay Z's 4:44.



Best Country Album:
Cosmic Hallelujah - Kenny Chesney
Heart Break - Lady Antebellum
The Breaker - Little Big Town
Life Changes - Thomas Rhett
From A Room: Volume 1 - Chris Stapleton

As I stated earlier, I'm a big Chris Stapleton fan, so I'm going with From A Room: Volume 1.








Best New Artist:
Alessia Cara
Khalid
Lil Uzi Vert
Julia Michaels
Sza

I'd love for Alessia Cara to take this, but I'm leaning towards Sza. She broke out in a big way this past year.







Song Of The Year:
"Despacito" - (Luis Fonsi & daddy Yankee ft/ Justin Bieber)
"4:44" - (Jay-Z)
"Issues" - (Julia Michaels)
"1-800-273-8255" - (Logic ft/ Alessia Cara & Khalid)
"That's What I Like" - (Bruno Mars)

A tough field to choose from. I'd be good with any of these winning, but for the message that it conveys, I'm picking "1-800-273-8255".




Record Of The Year:
"Redbone" - Childish Gambino
"Despacito" - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft/ Justin Bieber
"The Story of O.J." - Jay-Z
"Humble" - Kendrick Lamar
"24K Magic" - Bruno Mars

I'm going with Kendrick Lamar's "Humble". Words can't really describe just how good that track was.











Album Of The Year:
Awaken, My Love! - Childish Gambino
4:44 - Jay-Z
Damn - Kendrick Lamar
Melodrama - Lorde
24K Magic - Bruno Mars

In years past, I've reviewed all the album of the year nominees. Now while I didn't do that, I did listen to a majority of them. It could be anyone's game, but I'm going with Damn by Kendrick Lamar. Its just such a complete album top to bottom.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment