Sunday, December 8, 2019

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: : "I Used To Know Her" - H.E.R


With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.




(All Rights To RCA Records)






1) "Lost Souls" ft/ DJ Scratch

This is a bit of an homage to Lauryn Hill. Lyrically, H.E.R is on her game; "A lost soul can't lead the people", "confusing the celebrity with your integrity". But there are times when the track falls off.


2) "Fate"

H.E.R's feeling lost in a relationship, wondering whose fault it is; "If you walked a mile using my feet, you would go a little easy on me". 


3) "Carried Away"

This has a different feeling intro, with a beautiful chorus. She's struggling looking for love while feeling guarded.


4) "Going (Full)"

The chorus really clicks. In this track, H.E.R is feeling limited with what she can give in a relationship.


5) "Be On My Way (Full)"

She's looking to move on; "But we both had our own motives, never told him that mine was to stay alone". It just feels that this track is lacking something, whether its in the instrumental backing or somewhere else.


6) "Can't Help Me"

Starting off with a folksy intro, H.E.R is struggling to love her partner, which she admits is her problem.


7) "Something Keeps Pulling Me Back"

She's struggling to leave a relationship; "I see the truth, but I stay blind". Her pride won't let her admit her own faults.


8) "Feel A Way"

This track has a nice flow. She's blaming her partner for making her play a part in this relationship conflict.


9) "21"

"21" is dealing with H.E.R's maturity. Lyrically, this track feels jumbled and all over the place in the verses.



10) "Racks" ft/ YBN Cordae

This has a different world feel. "Racks" deals with fortune not being able to buy happiness; "they don't relax your pain", "The cash and shit is a catalyst, to cover up the pain, that's hazardous".



11) "I'm Not OK"

She's admitting her uneasiness and wants to be comforted.


12) "Against Me"

H.E.R is blaming herself for remaining in a relationship. This track ends with a fantastic poetic outro dealing with neglecting intuition and seeing the signs.


13) "Could've Been" (ft/ Bryson Tiller)

Two partners are dealing on what could've been, but find themselves drifting; "The part of me that cared inside is gone". Tiller's verse is really smooth.



14) "Good To Me"

There's a really cool groove. She doesn't want to just go through the motions; "Don't know what I'm chasin', I can't erase what I'm feeling deep inside". There's a unique spoken word-kind of outro, featuring studio recording of H.E.R breaking down the song.


15) "Take You There"

This track is very tranquil, with a light airy feel. "Take You There" acts as an ode to her partner.


16) "As I Am"

We see H.E.R feeling good with her partner. While the chorus is good, instrumentally it feels like this track is lacking.


17) "Hard Place (Single Version)"

This really grooves with a percussion backing. Lyrically this is spot on; "I'm caught between your love and a hard place".



18) "Uninvited (Live)"
Starting off with a nice guitar intro, H.E.R feels like her partner is icing her out. Overall, the instrumentals and vocals mesh really well.


19) "Lord Is Coming (remix)" (ft/ YBN Cordae)

This starts off with a spoken word intro dealing with mental health and the current state of things. H.E.R references children being separated at the border. This track features really powerful imagery; "We reach for saving hands, no help will come from men, the Lord is coming". That imagery includes some pointed political remarks, with YBN Cordae saying how we "voted for the antichrist (Trump)". 



During my review for her self-titled album, I mentioned how H.E.R had more that she was capable of doing, and I think she captures that with "I Used To Know Her". This album has a theme surrounding that flows from track to track. (84.2)



"Cuz I Love You" (Deluxe) - Lizzo (96.5)
"I Used To Know Her" - H.E.R (84.2)
"Norman Fucking Rockwell" - Lana Del Rey (64.3)

No comments:

Post a Comment