Sunday, December 29, 2019

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande







With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.




(All Rights To Republic Records)





1) "imagine"

With smooth vocals, this track has an old-school feel. She's imagining a world with an untenable relationship.



2) "needy"

Ariana is craving support and attention while trying to keep it together; "I admit that I'm a lil' messed up, but I can hide it when I'm all dressed up". There's also a really strong outro.


3) "NASA"

She's looking for space; "You can say 'I Love You' through the phone tonight". "NASA" lacks a catchy chorus, that tends to get annoying.


4) "bloodline"

There's a nice brass backing that starts off "bloodline". With a 'Tove-Lo' style in the pre-chorus, this is about a friends with benefit situation that she doesn't want to change.


5) "fake smile"

This is about feeling unsatisfied in life; "I can't fake another smile, I can't fake like I'm alright......fuck a fake smile". She's feeling hounded by gossip.


6) "bad idea"

This track starts off with an immediately catchy backing. Ariana is trying to keep it all together and wants to numb it all away.


7) "makeup"

This is a light-sounding track, but could use something extra.


8) "ghostin"

With an ethereal backing, this is about how Ariana is still hooked on someone else despite being in a relationship; "every tear's a rain parade from hell". 


9) "In My Head"

She's in love with an image of her partner that she's created in her head. The chorus is catchy, but the pre-chorus is kind of clunky.


10) "7 rings"

This is loaded with imagery as Ariana boasts of her wealth. This also ties back to "bloodline" about not wanting a serious relationship; "rather be tied up with calls and not strings".



11) "thank u, next"

This is an "ode" to her past loves while discussing her own self-empowerment; "one taught me love, one taught me patience, and one taught me pain, Now I'm so amazing". She's getting to know herself better.



12) "break up with your girlfriend, i'm so bored"

This track opens with a heavy bass. It could use some more lyrically wise.



This is a strong showing from Ariana Grande, displaying a more serious side at times. There are a few throwaway tracks, or ones that could use an extra push, but you can definitely see her growth as an artist. (75)


"When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go" - Billie Eilish (100)
"Cuz I Love You" (Deluxe) - Lizzo (96.5)
"I Used To Know Her" - H.E.R (84.2)
"Father Of The Bride" - Vampire Weekend (80.5)
"Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande (75)
"Norman Fucking Rockwell" - Lana Del Rey (64.3)

No comments:

Post a Comment