Sunday, January 3, 2021

Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Black Pumas (Deluxe Edition)" - Black Pumas

 



With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.




"Black Pumas (deluxe)" - Black Pumas


(All Rights to ATO Records)

*For this deluxe edition, I didn't include the live recorded tracks in the review, so as to not inflate the final score amidst the other nominees. 



1) "Black Moon Rising"

This bluesy track is loosely about a man desperately in love; "You brave the sight, I paint the picture...all she wants to do is cruise to the black moon rising".


2) "Colors"

"Colors" explores the diversity found in everyday life; "now take me to the other side, little bitty blue birds fly, in gray clouds, or white walls , or blue skies". The lyrical poetry in this folk-sounding track is magnificent.  

 


3) "Know You Better"

There's a nice groove to "Know You Better"; "I want to know you better, I gotta take this time. Stop and see the weather".


4) "Fire"

This western-sounding track deals with longing; "Don't be afraid to say 'I need you' ".


5) "OCT 33"

The title is referencing a day that will never be, in relation to a relationship; "So help me hear the birds sing. I'll help you capture your dream". There's a nice guitar rift that adds to "OCT 33" 's style.


6) "Stay Gold"

While the vocals are rich, "Stay Gold" gets lyrically repetitive. 


7) "Old Man"

There's a nice beat, but the lyrical phrasing is awkward in spots.


8) "Confines"

This deals with striving to make a difference; "Make me wise, take me far. Says the mind unto the heart". 


9) "Touch The Sky"

There's a nice brass feature in this lyrically rich track; "Let me touch the sky, brother. Let's play the game. I do my thing 'til I'm satisfied, sister. This love's everywhere, say a little prayer".


10) "Sweet Conversations"

This tranquil sounding track goes pretty deep; "If I'm lost in my darkness with my soul on the pavement, Won't you speak with me, spirit? Babe, we can't let this love run dry". 


11) "Fast Car"

This is a very respectful cover to the Tracy Chapman classic, subtly adding a few flourishes.


12) "I'm Ready"

There's a nice beat, but its a bit scattered lyrically.


13) "Red Rover"

This track is very smooth-flowing.


14) "Black Cat"

"Black Cat" is rock & soul blended to perfection.


15) "Politicians In My Eyes"

This take on the punk group "Death's" 'politicians' shows the song's relevance to the present day.  


16) "Eleanor Rigby"

The Black Pumas put their own spin to this Beatles classic, giving it a funk sound.


17) "Ain't No Love In the Heart Of The City"

Much like "Eleanor Rigby", they give their own flair to this Bobby Bland track. 


On top of the superb overall work, the Black Pumas find time to shine a new light on some classic covers. I can't wait to see what The Black Pumas do next. (91)


Taylor Swift - "Folklore" (100)

Black Pumas - "Black Pumas (Deluxe)" (91)

Haim - "Women In Music - Pt. III" (85)

Post Malone - "Hollywood's Bleeding" (30)

No comments:

Post a Comment