Sunday, January 31, 2021

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: "Future Nostalgia" - Dua Lipa

 



With the Grammy nominations out, its time for my "album of the year" reviews.  I score each track on whether it stands out, is merely okay, or is a miss. The final score will be out of a high of 100.



"Future Nostalgia" - Dua Lipa



(All Rights To Warner Records)


1) "Future Nostalgia"

The opening title track is a feminist anthem on confidence with a futuristic throwback feel; "you want a timeless song, I wanna change the game. Like modern architecture, John Lautner coming your way". She wants to be timeless. 



2) "Don't Start Now"

This deals with finding one's footing following a breakup; "I'm all good already, So moved on it's scary. I'm not where you left me at all...". The complexity of the instrumentals with its disco feel makes this track worth multiple re-listens just to focus on the instrumentals.  



3) "Cool"

"Cool" is about meeting someone new that causes you to lose your bearings; "Got me losin' all my cool, 'Cause I'm burnin' up on you". Along with a half-time chorus, this track has some serious Prince vibes.



4) "Physical"

There's a very 80's feel to this perfectly designed track.



5) "Levitating"

This is about a certain kind of love; "Glitter in the sky, glitter in my eyes, Shining just the way I like it." There's a nice lyrical flow. 

  



6) "Pretty Please"

"Pretty Please" deals with needing attention from your partner; "Hate it when you leave me unattended.......Put my mind at ease, pretty please". There's a really nice base line.



7) "Hallucinate"

This is about a love so deep that it changes your perception of reality; "I hallucinate when you call my name. Got stars in my eyes, And they don't fade when you come my way". This track has a cool vibe to it.



8) "Love Again"

"Love Again" centers around themes of empowerment and rebounding; "I'll sink my teeth in disbelief, 'cause you're that one that I want". 


9) "Break My Heart"

Dua is questioning her relationship choices; "I've always been the one to say the first goodbye. Had to love & lose a hundred million times. Had to get it wrong to know just what I like". Like with "Don't Start Now" there's a lot of interesting things going on in the backing instrumental.


10) "Good In Bed"

This is about a couple where sex is the only thing holding them together; "But if you only knew me the way you know my body, baby". The lyrical phrasing is a bit awkward.


11) "Boys Will Be Boys"

This closing track is an ode to what it's like being a woman; "It's second nature to walk home before the sun goes down, And put your keys between your knuckles when there's boys around". A powerful refrain in this track states that "boys will be boys, but girls will be women". 



Dua Lipa has a homerun on her hands with "Future Nostalgia". It's a rare album where nearly every track differentiates itself from the other. Overall this is a perfectly designed pop album with a message to tell. (95)


Taylor Swift - "Folklore" (100)

Dua Lipa - "Future Nostalgia" (95)

Black Pumas - "Black Pumas (Deluxe)" (91)

Haim - "Women In Music - Pt. III" (85)

Jhene Aiko - "Chilombo" (78)

Post Malone - "Hollywood's Bleeding" (30)

No comments:

Post a Comment