Sunday, January 7, 2024

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: boygenius - "The Record"

 



"The Record" - boygenius

(Interscope Records)




1) "Without You Without Them"

This short introductory a cappella track is centered around the ordeal of being known. The harmonies in the chorus are beautiful.


2) "$20"

There's a punk feel; "Run out of gas, out of time, out of money. You're doing what you can, just makin' it run". 


3) "Emily I'm Sorry"

This acts as an apology track; "She's asleep in the back seat, Looking peaceful enough to me, But she's wakin' up inside a dream, Full of screeching tires and fire". The delicate vocals brings the message home.


4) "True Blue"

This centers around finding yourself; "And it feels good to be known so well. I can't hide from you like I hide from myself". 


5) "Cool About It"

This deals with a relationship that's lacking communication; "I'm trying to be cool about it, Feelin' like an absolute fool about it, Wishin' you were kind enough to be cruel about it......I ask you how you're doing and I let you lie". Each verse brings a new element.


6) "Not Strong Enough"

Centering around feeling that you're not enough for someone; "I can't stop staring at the ceiling fan and spinning out about things that haven't happened". The track goes full throttle with Lucy's chorus.


7) "Revolution 0"

This track deals with online dating; "Imaginary friend, you live up in my head". This could have used another verse, or a different perspective with multiple vocalists.


8) "Leonard Cohen"

You get a read of the connection that this trio has; "You felt like an idiot adding an hour to the drive. But it gave us more time to embarrass ourselves, tellin' stories we wouldn't tell anyone else". 


9) "Satanist"

This comes from Julien and her religious upbringing; "Will you be a nihilist with me? If nothin' matters, man, that's a relief". There's really nice guitar work, setting up a punk feel.


10) "We're In Love"

This is based on the importance of the group's friendship; "I feel crazy in ways I never say. Will you still love me if it turns out I'm insane? I know what you'll say, but it helps to hear you say it anyway". Lucy is able to paint a picture with her vocals.


11) "Anti-Curse"

Inspired by Julien's near-drowning experience; "I'm out of my depth at a public beach, I never listened, I had to see for myself". The track picks up with Julien's big vocals towards the end of the 2nd verse.


12) "Letter To An Old Poet"

This deals with someone having so much power over you; "You don't get to tell me to calm down. You made me feel like an equal, but I'm better than you". Instrumentally, this is a nice closing to the album, as you sense a sort of chaotic swarm before it ends. That effect is done very well.


This album flies by as you're listening. Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus make for a powerhouse trio. While they have their separate solo careers, I hope we get a lot more from boygenius in the near-future. (92.1)


Taylor Swift: "Midnights" - 93.6
boygenius: "The Record" - 92.1
Lana Del Rey: "Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd." - 87.1
Miley Cyrus: "Endless Summer Vacation" - 84.4
Janelle Monae: "The Age Of Pleasure" - 78.4 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment