Saturday, January 27, 2024

Grammy's Album of The Year Review: Olivia Rodrigo - "Guts"



"Guts" - Olivia Rodrigo

(Geffen Records)





1) "All-American Bitch"

This deals with ideals & double standards; "Forgive and I forget, I know my age and I act like it". With a punk-pop chorus, this is an energetic opening to the album.


2) "Bad Idea Right?"

A playful track that has her thinking about going back to a relationship; "Yes, I know that he's my ex, but can't two people reconnect? I only see him as a friend, The biggest lie I ever said". The instrumental break goes off.


3) "Vampire"

This track revolves around being taken advantage of and liberation; "How's the castle built off people you pretend to care about?". The track gradually builds, with a nice drive in the bridge.


4) "Lacy"

She finds herself comparing herself to other women, and dealing with the personification of beauty; "I feel your compliments like bullets on skin". Her vocals are very delicate.


5) "Ballad Of A Homeschooled Girl"

This comes from social anxiety with a garage rock feel; "I'm on the outside of the greatest inside joke". There's a nice half-time feel towards the end.


6) "Making The Bed"

This is self-depreciating on fame; "Another day pretendin' I'm older than I am".


7) "Logical"

This deals with how love can be irrational; " 'Cause if rain don't pour and sun don't shine, Then changing you is possible. No, love is never logical". While touching, lyrically "logical" is a bit clunky.


8) "Get Him Back!"

There's a pop-rock feel; "But I am my father's daughter, so maybe I can fix him". Just a well-crafted track.


9) "Love Is Embarrassing"

She explores love & self-worth; "Just watch as I crucify myself for some weird second string loser who's not worth mentioning". 


10) "The Grudge"

A ballad about conflicting emotions among a relationship/friendship marked by manipulation; "And I hear your voice every time that I think I'm not enough.........It takes strength to forgive, but I don't feel strong enough".


11) "Pretty Isn't Pretty"

A reflection on self-positivity & expectations; "There's always something in the mirror that I think looks wrong". I appreciate the message, but the production doesn't quite stand out.


12) "Teenage Dream"

This is about growing up under a spotlight; "When am I gonna stop being wise beyond my years and just start being wise?.......I fear that they already got all the best parts of me". A powerful closer to the album.


"Sour" was such a strong debut album from Olivia Rodrigo, that some wondered how she would be able to follow it up. It turns out that wouldn't be a problem, as "Guts" is a solid sophomore album. Olivia dips a little more into that pop-punk vibe with this successor, I wonder what we can expect in the future? (90.8)

Taylor Swift: "Midnights" - 93.6
boygenius: "The Record" - 92.1
Olivia Rodrigo: "Guts" - 90.8
Lana Del Rey: "Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd." - 87.1
Miley Cyrus: "Endless Summer Vacation" - 84.4
Jon Batiste: "World Music Radio" - 82.4
Janelle Monae: "The Age Of Pleasure" - 78.4    



 




No comments:

Post a Comment