Tuesday, December 21, 2021

2022 Grammy's Album Of The Year Review: "Back Of My Mind" - H.E.R

 

For this year's reviews of the album of the year nominees, I simplified my grading. I grade each song (not any interludes or preludes) out of 10, coming up with a final score out of 100. 


"Back Of My Mind" - H.E.R

 


 (All Rights To RCA Records)

 

1) "We Made It"

With a tranquil groove, this is about how she finally reached her dreams; "Running red lights, and following the signs, it's been a long ride". 

 

2) "Back Of My Mind" ft/ Ty Dolla $ign

This is about a bond with a past romance; "I'm still the greatest of all time, in the back of your mind". Ty doesn't bring much of anything to the track.


3) "Trauma" ft/ Cordae

This deals with perception & public image.


4) "Damage"

Sampling "Making Love In The Rain", H.E.R doesn't want to be taken for granted. She uses her full range, and there's a nice piano outro.


5) "Find A Way" ft/ Lil Baby

Dealing with the journey to fame, there's some clunky writing.


6) "Bloody Waters"

There's passion behind the central message to this track; "speculate caution signs, Incriminate people's minds, war and love don't combine".


7) "Closer To Me"

This track is a bit bland.


8) "Come Through" ft/ Chris Brown

This is a duet about the urge to see each other. Overall, this track is just sort of there.


9) "My Own"

She's trying to be independent from her partner.


10) "Lucky"

This describes a romance.


11) "Cheat Code"

This deals with the frustration and tension of a romance.


12) "Mean It"

She's becoming skeptical of her partner's intentions; "Maybe I should be more like her, Just forget about what's right, just forget about my worth".


13) "Paradise" ft/ Yung Bleu

 

14) "Process"

 

15) "Hold On"

She's trying to move on; "How do you get somewhere comfortable, then leave?". There's a nice closing guitar rift.


16) "Don't"

This track opens with a nice guitar intro.


17) "Exhausted"

There isn't much behind this track.


18) "Hard To Love"

She's struggling after a break-up; "I can't expect you to fix all my issues".


19) "For Anyone"

There's some particularly good writing; "I look for peace of mind in someone else's eyes".


20) "I Can Have It All" ft/ DJ Khaled & Bryson Tiller

Dealing with the rise to fame, this track is somewhat redundant.


21) "Slide" w/ YG

This deals with her new perspective on love & relationships; "I don't care if we on the run, Nothin' matters when we one on one".



"Back Of My Mind" is a mixed bag of an album. There are genuinely some strong and passionate tracks, but a lot of filler as well in this bloated album. Sometimes less can be more, as some tracks get lost in the shuffle with twenty-one of them.  (78)

 


Billie Eilish "Happier Than Ever" - 97

Lil Nas X "Montero" - 85

H.E.R "Back Of My Mind" - 78

Kanye West "Donda" - 61

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment