Wednesday, December 15, 2021

2022 Grammy's Album of The Year Review: "Happier Than Ever" - Billie Eilish

 


For this year's reviews of the album of the year nominees, I simplified my grading. I grade each song (not any interludes or preludes) out of 10, coming up with a final score out of 100. 


"Happier Than Ever" - Billie Eilish



(All Rights To Darkroom/Interscope Records)


1) "Getting Older"

This is a vulnerable intro with a synth beat; "Last week, I realized I crave pity, when I retell a story I make everything sound worse......Just bad at healing". She's ultimately striving to be better.


2) "I Didn't Change My Number"

This track details how she separated from a past relationship; "I didn't change my number, I only changed who I believe in".


3) "Billie Bossa Nova"

A more sensual tone with a nice beat.


4) "My Future"

She's reflecting on her past and what's yet to come, with a melancholic leading to an optimistic feel.


5) "Oxytocin"

This has an uptempo/club beat; "You know I need you for the oxytocin". The back-half feels a bit redundant.


6) "GOLDWING"

This is about a woman who's gone through trauma, with an angelic sounding intro; "Gonna claim you like a souvenir just to sell you in a year".


7) "Lost Cause"

There's a nice groove to this track; "I used to wish you were mine, but that was way before I realized someone like you would always be so easy to find".


8) "Halley's Comet"

This track starts off with a nice piano intro; "I've been loved before but right now in this moment I feel more and more like I was made for you".


9) "Not My Responsibility"

A spoken word track, this deals with body image & objectification; "Would you like me to be smaller, weaker, softer, taller?.....Is my value based only on your perception". Really sending a powerful message.


10) "Over Heated" 

A follow up to "Not My Responsibility", this also addresses objectification; "I was only built like everybody else now, But I didn't get a surgery to help out, 'Cause I'm not about to redesign myself now, am I?"


11) "Everybody Dies"

A reminiscence on death; "I sure have a knack for seeing life more like a child". 


12) "Your Power"

This deals with an abusive relationship; "She said 'you were a hero, you played the part', 'But you ruined her in a year, don't act like it was hard' ". 


13) "NDA"

This deals with romance amid fame; "30 under 30 for another year, I can barely go outside, I think I hate it here".


14) "Therefore I Am"

This is about those who use her for clout; "Get my pretty name outta your mouth, We are not the same with or without".


15) "Happier Than Ever"

A therapeutic reflection on a past relationship, there's a tonal shift midway through that's laid out perfectly.


16) "Male Fantasy"

A ballad on heartbreak and what's real versus fake. She doesn't know if she's just pretending to get over them.


I wasn't sure how Billie Eilish was going to follow up her incredible debut album, but she found a way. She takes it to another level with "Happier Than Ever" that just has you wondering what could be next. Unlike "Donda", this album seemed to fly by.  (97)


Billie Eilish "Happier Than Ever" - 97

Lil Nas X "Montero" - 85

Kanye West "Donda" - 61 


No comments:

Post a Comment