Tuesday, December 28, 2021

2022 Grammy's Album of The Year Review: "We Are" - Jon Batiste

 



For this year's reviews of the album of the year nominees, I simplified my grading. I grade each song (not any interludes or preludes) out of 10, coming up with a final score out of 100. 


"We Are" - Jon Batiste



(All Rights To Verve Records)

1) "We Are" ft/ Autumn Rowe, Braedon Gautier, Brennan Gautier, Craig Adams, David Gauthier, Gospel Soul Children Choir & Saint Augustine High School Marching 100

This deals with the ability to make change; "The ghetto is full of stars, bless them, shine from afar.....The country is full of stars, but they're in the dark". There's a very energized outro.


2) "Tell The Truth"

This track is about being honest; "Whether looking for love? Are you looking for fame? Before you go off, better know the game". 


3) "Cry"

A bluesy track, this deals with social unrest. There's a smooth guitar break.


4) "I Need You"

Upbeat, Jon is seeking to spread joy amid unrest; "I love the way you're livin', 'Cause you so genuine".


5) "Whatchutalkinbout"

With a unique feel, Jon deals with challenges he's faced along his journey.


6) "Boy Hood" ft/ PJ Morton, Trombone Shorty

Starting a trilogy, this deals with what it felt like growing up in New Orleans.


7) "Movement 11' "

Continuing the theme of coming of age, this instrumental track builds on top of itself.


8) "Adulthood" ft/ Hot 8 Brass Band

This deals with suddenly arriving to a sense of maturity.


9) "Mavis"

This short snippet is the inspiration that Jon found with Mavis Staples.


10) "Freedom"

"Freedom" is about the beacons of freedom and expressing yourself; "When I move my body just like this, I don't know why but I feel like freedom".


11) "Show Me The Way" ft/ Zadie Smith

This is an homage to inspiration.


12) "Sing" 

This track deals with singing when feeling overwhelmed with emotion; "On the verge of cryin', I don't feel like tryin', But instead I'll sing.....When I'm done with worries, And no one's around me, Don't you know, I'll sing".


13) "Until"

This is both a moment of celebration, but with the instrumental background pondering what's next.



Just a fantastic album. Unlike some of the others I've reviewed thus far, I was left wanting any more at the close of "We Are". Jon Batiste has a way about his vocals that are incredibly expressive. I foresee many more grammy nominations in his future. (95)


Billie Eilish "Happier Than Ever" - 97

Jon Batiste "We Are" - 95

Lil Nas X "Montero" - 85

H.E.R "Back Of My Mind" - 78

Kanye West "Donda" - 61





No comments:

Post a Comment