Saturday, April 24, 2021

2021 Oscars Preview

 




Best Production Design:

This is likely to go to one of the 2 period films with Mank and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Based on this awards season, I'm leaning towards Mank.


Pick: Mank





Best Animated Short Film:

Pixar has a contender here with Burrow, but their track record with animated short has actually been spotty as of late. A heavy hitter with important thematic material, I think If Anything Happens I Love You is taking this Oscar.

Pick: If Anything Happens I Love You





Best Live Action Short Film:

I can't remember a time when these nominated films were more available than they are now through mainstream streaming apps (same with animated short). I'm going with the powerful Two Distant Strangers.

Pick: Two Distant Strangers





Best Sound:

Soul and News of the World could be contenders here, but I'm leaning with Sound of Metal.

Pick: Sound of Metal





Best Visual Effects:

The Midnight Sky is a contender here given this awards season, but I just have a hard time seeing Tenet getting passed up here.

Pick: Tenet







Best Documentary Feature:

My Octopus Teacher has really surged as a favorite.

Pick: My Octopus Teacher





Best Documentary Short Subject:

Do Not Split and Hunger Ward could be contenders, but merely based on word of mouth I'm going with A Love Song for Latasha.

Pick: A Love Song for Latasha





Best Film Editing:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 could take this, best given the track record of the kind of films that take home the editing Oscar, I'm going with Sound of Metal.

Pick: Sound of Metal





Best International Feature Film:

Flying a bit blind here, but my pick here is Another Round.

Pick: Another Round





Best Makeup And Hairstyling:

Mank and possibly Emma could be contenders, but I'm going with Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

Pick: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom





Best Original Score:

This seems pretty close to a given with Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste with Soul.

Pick: Soul





Best Original Song:

A number of ways this could go. "Fight For You" from Judas and the Black Messiah and "Io Si (Seen)" from The Life Ahead are top contenders, but I'm leaning towards "Speak Now" from One Night In Miami...

Pick: "Speak Now" - One Night In Miami...





Best Cinematography:

Nomadland is certainly a contender, but I'm leaning with Mank.

Pick: Mank





Best Costume Design:

Emma is a contender, but I'm pretty confident Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is getting this award.

Pick: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom





Best Adapted Screenplay:

Borat has surprised this awards season with some screenplay awards, and The Father is a top contender. But I'm leaning towards Chloe Zhao and Nomadland.

Pick: Chloe Zhao - Nomadland





Best Original Screenplay:

This seems like a competitive field. I'm going with Emerald Fennell and Promising Young Woman.

Pick: Emerald Fennell - Promising Young Woman





Best Animated Feature Film:

Wolfwalkers is a contender, but this seems more than set for Soul.

Pick: Soul







Best Supporting Actor:

This seems fairly locked in with Daniel Kaluuya.

Pick: Daniel Kaluuya - Judas and the Black Messiah





Best Supporting Actress:

This race has been all over the place this awards season. Right now, the leading frontrunner seems to be Yuh-Jung Youn.

Pick: Yuh-Jung Youn - Minari





Best Actor:

Just like with Supporting Actor, this seems like a lock with Chadwick Boseman.

Pick: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom





Best Actress:

This is a three-way race, between Viola Davis (SAG Award), Frances McDormand (BAFTA), and Carey Mulligan (Critics' Choice). Not sure I can remember a more tightly contested acting race. I'm going with Frances McDormand.

Pick: Frances McDormand - Nomadland





Best Director:

Throughout this awards season, director has seems like a given towards Chloe Zhao.

Pick: Chloe Zhao - Nomadland





Best Picture:

Best Picture has been fairly competitive over the last few years.....that isn't the case right now. Nomadland seems to be running away with this, and I think it would be rightfully deserved.

Pick: Nomadland


















































No comments:

Post a Comment